Special publication put out by the Coeur d'Alene Press in March of 1987 for the centennial of the city of Coeur d'Alene.
First there were the Indians
Steamboat played big part in history
Drug use a problem way back when, too
Tubbs Hill named for immigrant
Advertisements as colorful as the times
Region boomed in early 1900s
Presidents Wilson, Taft among visitors
July 4 celebrations kept town hopping
Retired barber recalls snips of Lake City life
The steam boats drew young to the water
On Campus, 1955
Depression, war take toll
Coeur d'Alene nearly became ski town
War years boosted Farragut numbers
Jobs, Taxes & Dollars; Reinvesting in Idaho
The heyday of Playland
Parks and Rec aids young citizens
When everyone came to town to play
Hydroplanes' roar once filled the air
Hagadone Corp. native to Coeur d'Alene
Coeur d'Alene Press grew up with city
St. Helens blew her top
100th year was busy in Lake City
Big hotel bright spot on horizon
Population just keeps expanding
Private enterprise works to boost jobs
Kootenai County people fill statistical spectrum
Community looks forward to future
Special Publication of the Coeur d'Alene Press, Spring 1985
Chamber of commerce
North Shore Hotel and Convention Center
Coeur d'Alene Press
Park View Tower
Louisiana Pacific Building
First Interstate Plaza
Region Sewer System
Post Falls Sewer System
Kootenai Medical Center
Lake Villa Apartments
Post Falls Projects
Kootenai County Jail
Panhandle Health District
Community Partnership Program
Coeur d'Alene schools
Post Falls schools
North Idaho College
City of Coeur d'Alene
Account of P.W. Johnson of the arrival of C.P. Sorensen at fort Coeur d'Alene 1879. He was awarded a contract by the government to build a steamboat on lake Coeur d'Alene for use by the garrison at the fort.
Three unidentified men from the CCC base camp at Hudlow Creek, ID, riding a log raft on a river.
Photographic copy of an illustration in an old real estate advertising publication.
100 rooms with local and long distance telephone service, a view of the lake, and banquet and meeting facilities attracted major conventions to Coeur d'Alene.
Finished in 1908, within a year it was bankrupt and in 1910 Kootenai County went dry with prohibition.
Coeur d'Alene Laundry
Paul Schroeder (owner)
Inside of Lumpkin Drug Store, 1905.
Built in 1892, added to in 1904, burned down Christmas Day, 1927. Served as city's first high school from 1905-1910.
Buildings at the southwest corner of Sherman and First, 1905.
Looking West down Sherman Avenue from Fourth Street. Paul's Saloon (left foreground, George Ford's Saloon (next to Paul's) and the Coeur D'Alene Inn (three-story building).
Built by J.W. Wiggett. Housed Wiggett and Empey Co. Grogeries and a dentist's office.
Sander Building, home of the Idaho Mercantile Company. V.S. Sander, president and James Roche, secretary/treasurer.
Sorenson House between Tubbs Hill and the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks and dock. Captain Sorenson designed and built the first sternwheel steamboat on Lake Coeur d'Alene, the "Amelia Wheaton." Fire burned the building down around 1900.
City of Coeur d'Alene from Tubbs Hill.
Ore-hauler named "Coeur d'Alene" at the Northern Pacific Dock.
Lakeside Hotel (later named the Coeur d'Alene Inn) in it's location between Second and Third Ave. after being moved from Fort Sherman in 1884. James Smith first proprietor.
Business on the corner of what is now First and Sherman. Large building is a Chinese Laundry.
W.W. Robers (second man on left)
Ludwig Roper (third man on left)
Fort Sherman, Coeur d'Alene, ID (Fort closed on March 9, 1900)
Named for General William Tecumseh Sherman who visited in 1877 and recommended a fort be established on the north shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene at the mouth of the Spokane River. Congress established 999 acres for this purpose in April 1878 creating Camp Coeur d'Alene (on which Fort Sherman was built).
Coeur d'Alene Express train (electric) that ran people from Spokane around 1900-1910.